View Single Post

Old 08-06-2017, 06:56 PM

Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Default Lead Verses plated

I have had one barrel wear out in my 50+ years of shooting. That was a Beretta 92FS. When first purchased, it came with 500 rounds of jacketed. Shot them up in 3 sessions., then lead afterwards. I figure that the barrel lasted about 5000 rounds total when the groups became very large at 25 yards. I drove a raw un-sized lead bullet through the barrel to have it mic out at .358. Replaced the barrel, and back to original groupings.

I do have a S&W Model 15, in 38 Spcl made in 1976 that has somewhere between 50-100,00 rounds through it, almost all lead. Only item to wear out was the cylinder which I replaced with a new one along with the center pin machined to fit. Barrel is perfect and this is the pistol used as the standard at the range as to be beat. So far, nothing newly made has so far.

I cast my lead using old 22 bullets cleaned from a range by my father when he was in college or new Dupont lead with a 5% tin mix. Lasted me for over 35 years so far.

I do use cast in my Beretta and 38Spl, sometimes in my SCCY 9mm. All other are RMR plated and I have seen no wear on any of the barrels. Including my M&P 380, which is loaded a little hot to compare with commercial loads.

I normally shoot 400-500 rounds a week split up between 5 autos and 1 revolver. So far, other than the Beretta, all barrels are mint.

My loads are below posted loads. For the autos, I build a load to shoot well and for the slide to fully function, then stop. For the 38 Spl, I am almost a full grain of Bullseye below posted loads. Great shooting and very, very accurate.

Last edited by MSgt Dave; 08-06-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Corrections
The Following 3 Users Like Post: