View Single Post

Old 08-07-2017, 08:01 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,714 Times in 1,411 Posts

Hello Forum;

I don't know much about rifle or pistol barrel wash-out, wear, whatever you want to call it, but I do remember my time on the Army rifle team and in between matches we would sit around the arms room with a visiting Division level Master Armorer who would go through our M-14's like he was the original inventor. We would get whatever replacement or spruce up, fine tune parts he felt would give is any miniscule advantage.

What I also remember very well was the "stacks", literally stacks, awaiting large wooden crates for shipment back to CONUS, of Browning M2 .50 Cal. Machine gun barrels. Every M-113 APC had one of those guns, most trucks in a ring mount, and the Heavy Weapons Platoons, had one with tripod too. So probably thousands of barrels and I remember him saying they were so far gone they would be rendered into scrap and were just being sent back to be properly scrapped in lieu of some foreign "bad guys" getting hold of them.

Like an above poster said....at least machine gun barrels with high rates of fire (remember you dang well better have the issued hot mitt if you needed to change that M2 barrel on the fly)..........certainly do wear out.
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570