View Single Post

Old 08-07-2017, 07:26 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

No one has mentioned that older (around WW I) S&W box lids said that their guns were meant for lead bullets. That does suggest that they knew even then that jacketed bullets wore barrels faster.

M-1917 barrels are rifled to handle jacketed GI .45 ammo. But the guns were meant for emergency war supplements to Colt autos,and no one was concerned that they would eventually wear more than with lead bullets.The guns would certainly long outlast the war!

How many rounds were in a case of that ammo that Elmer ordered from the Natl. Guard? How much shooting did he do? A BUNCH! I wouldn't be surprised if a "case" of ammo meant 5,000 rounds!

I've never worn a barrel and I've shot many jacketed rounds.

In rifles, with much higher velocities, we do see worn barrel throats after maybe 5,000 rounds. The small bore magnums with large case capacity wear faster than those shooting bullets at lower speeds.

Roy Weatherby said that his barrels would last as well as most hunters needed, if sighted-in and then shot mainly at live game.
Weatherby magnums are not target or plinking rifles. They are for killing animals.

Last edited by Texas Star; 08-07-2017 at 07:28 PM.