View Single Post

Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 PM
US Veteran

Liked 192,247 Times in 37,178 Posts

Only once. In 2000 I was close to closing the shop as it was almost 2100hrs. As I mostly wore cargo shorts, I would shove a pistol in my pocket after opening and then go about my day.

As I was ringing up the last customer, two hoodies came in. One stayed close to the door while the other moved to one of the stomp box display cases and kept nervously glancing my way.

My spidey sense was tingling. The one by the front held the door for the exiting customer. I really can't explain why, but I slid my hand into my pocket and wrapped it around my Bersa Thunder 380.

Hoodie #2 turned, faced me and moved his left hand down and began to pull up his shirt. I didn't wait. I leveled my gun at his head and they both bolted for the door.

The police found them later and hopefully they are still in the system.

In truth, it wasn't training, weapons skill or bravery that got me through that. After years of reliving it, I am convinced that I was scared enough and mad enough to fight back.

Not a day goes by that I don't thank God, Almighty that I lived and didn't have to carry the thought of killing them with me.

In the past, there have been comments, on this forum, that situational awareness, scanning the horizon and watching your six have a whiff of paranoia. All I know is that I believe they saved me from harm that night.