View Single Post

Old 08-12-2017, 03:55 PM

Liked 29,410 Times in 10,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladder13 View Post
Thanks Steve.
Reading comp is not one of my strong suits, so I need help understanding what the writer is saying.
Is he saying Sig, in order to please some segment of the gun crowd decided to mimic a 1911 trigger on a striker fired gun?
Is that correct or am I misreading.....it happens.
Pretty much. Look at any gun review, and especially those by Wiley Clapp, and if the gun is NOT a 1911 you will have to suffer yet another treatise on how much the author prefers the 1911 trigger mechanism. That's pointless, IMHO, and it has led many shooters to believe that no gun is shootable unless the trigger is like a good 1911. That's clearly bunkum. People have got lazy and are no longer to put in the time to shoot properly.

You can add to this the fascination with accuracy and with a handgun. Without doubt this combination is easier to achieve with a great trigger, but the mantra has become that there is always more speed and accuracy to be had. Sorry folks, but handguns are ultimately limited by physics and manufacturing tolerances even from a Ransom rest. As for offhand shooting, in a self defence scenario fast enough and accurate enough are sufficient, but the worshippers of "more" don't want to hear it.

The "more" crowd have driven the demand for better triggers on striker fired pistols, but for some reason the obvious solution of a SA gun with a safety mechanism that locks the sear has not been pursued by most manufacturers with the XD being the exception. That's because the real money is in LEO contracts, and they don't want manual safeties because of the training overhead. So we end up with light triggers with no safeties and operating mechanisms that are not drop proof.