View Single Post

Old 08-13-2017, 02:54 PM

Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Default We Have Liftoff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
Interested in hearing an update!
Here it is. I can shoot it now!!!

Received my Wolff Gunsprings assortment of three different hammer springs Friday and I had also purchased my own trigger weight gauge. Wolff says the original spring on this pistol is 20 lb and the original tripped the gauge at 7 lb. I successively cycled through the 19#, 18#, and then the 17# springs but each of them still tripped the gauge at 7 lb. Bummer. But when I was dry firing with the 17# spring the trigger release just felt smoother to me. Time to hit the range.

Just returned from the range 10 minutes ago and am VERY pleased to report the pistol is now working fine for me. Left the 17# spring in since it was the last one I'd installed and I also put the trigger almost to the knuckle on my trigger finger.

My original groups were vertically on POA and slightly left. However when I really locked back my right arm (I shoot right handed) POA became POI!! Further, the trigger just felt lighter and definitely crisper despite what the scale said. I never had any of those, "When is it ever going to fire?" moments where I had to take a new breath and start over with the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
Just a few thoughts. Your comment about the heavy trigger and shooting a model 60 has me wondering if you are shooting your model 60 exclusively in Single Action. If this is the case set a new rule for yourself with any revolver, that is NO SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING AT LESS THAN 15 YARDS Because training with a revolver in double action is the surest method I have ever found for improving and refining trigger skills.
Took my trusty old K22 Masterpiece to the range with me on this session because of Scooter's advice. After getting reasonable groups with the 3913 I fired about 50 rounds in DA only with the K22 and focused on trigger while keeping the pistol on target. This worked surprisingly well and I learned a lot with just a few rounds. Went back to the 3913 and shot even better, including a 15 round sequence of rapid fire (3 mags of 5) with very satisfactory results. Many thanks for this advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhump1961 View Post
For me it was just ensuring I am actuating the trigger straight back. It's so easy to move your trigger finger to the left thus pushing the shot low and left. I was once told "It doesn't matter if you pull the trigger, squeeze the trigger, jerk the trigger, yank the trigger, press the trigger or whatever...just don't move the gun when you do it!"
Thanks. This is what I really worked on with the K22 revolver and it helped with the 3913.

Thanks much to everyone with advice on some selective parts changing and cleaning (Big Shrek). Haven't tried these yet but will.

The bottom line is that I now have confidence in this pistol where I had none before. Am I ready to carry it as a self defense weapon? Not yet. I'm going to want 2-3 confirmatory range sessions with it before I'm ready for that but... If they go as well as today did then I'm in business with this.

BTW: I had no mechanical issues with the 17# spring changeout. I fired 85 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr factory ammo and the pistol worked flawlessly.

I really want to thank everyone who contributed to this discussion. For me personally this thread is the epitome of how an online community can collectively offer support and solutions to each other. I have used (or plan to use) suggestions from multiple people in this endeavor and sometimes the, "Hey, I've got that problem too," posts were supportive.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: