View Single Post

Old 08-14-2017, 11:55 AM

Liked 8,461 Times in 3,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcop View Post
I still have some. Many of us carried that as a duty load in the early 80's. I clocked it at 1232 fps from a 4in Smith. On another day I chrono tested it in a 6.5 model 27 vs a 110gr 357(cant remember which maker). The Norma was faster going over 1400 fps. This load was used several times to deal with large attacking dogs. Cross torso thru the shoulders they would exit and this was on large pitbulls and large mix breeds. Had a large blast similar to a magnum. Typically ran 75fps faster than our treasury loads from Federal. I doubt that the bullet ever expanded as the hollowpoint was tiny and there was no skiving on the jacket.
^^^^what he said. Great post, very informative. Real world use, not speculation. Only wish Norma had used nickeled casings. Would be interesting to test this round in a carbine bbl. I shot up some very early (not marked +P) R-P 158gr JHP .38s in a 16" bbl Rossi lever gun. Still had tremendous muzzle flash. I occasionally carried this load for off-duty security work.

Poster xcop confirms my examination of the shallow JHP. Poster Arik would call it a FMJ with a hole.

Kaaskop49
Shield #5103