View Single Post

Old 08-15-2017, 02:22 PM

Liked 1,512 Times in 409 Posts
Default Model 19 Lore and Legend -

During the 1970's when I was in my late teens/early 20's, my first handgun was a 2 1/2 inch Model 19.

I loved that gun, despite the fact that the factory grips couldn't successfully help me balance the gun in my hand to the point where it felt like a natural grip. But, I digress.

During those years I corresponded with Jeff Cooper who, in a letter I have long lost, told me that the Model 19 was really never intended to be a full-time .357 Magnum shooter and that the gun would likely age before it's time if I shot only .357 mag out of it. Stick with .38 special in it, he wrote. I followed his advice and sometime during the next 30 years I sold that gun off, unfortunately.

A long time has passed since those days, and I got to wondering about the wisdom he imparted - and if it held up to be true. Since the Model 19 is now a long-time out of production, do any of you guys who still own them (and shoot them) agree with Colonel Cooper's belief that, when it comes to .357 Magnum, the Model 19 should be shot seldom, and that a strong presence should be held up by the .38 special.

I'd be very interested in your comments and opinions, and thank you very much.

Rich
The Following 3 Users Like Post: