View Single Post

Old 08-17-2017, 08:33 PM

Liked 7,784 Times in 2,136 Posts

I think that all posters in this thread have behaved wonderfully, and for that I thank you. Very impressive.

I've started a separate thread on the holstory that relates to the auto pistol Mea culpa, I thought it was well known when Condition One became part of our little world.

The difficulty with long posts -- mine -- is that one can easily lose track of all the points being made and instead focus in on one that we might not agree with.

To that end: I am not at all saying that it is the end users' responsibility to get it right. A big holster maker might make that claim, but it's baseless. In order: pistol maker, ammo maker, accessory maker (light attached to pistol), holster maker, issuing body (the p.d., for example), trainer, supervisor, user.

The bulk of the incidents I've seen reported involve striker fired pistols with lights attached, in uniformed situations. "What wins on Sunday (race day) sells on Monday" is as true with pistols and holsters and lights as it is with cars and motorcycles. So one forum thread I encountered (Pm me for it if you like) is all civilians carrying Glocks AIWB -- including with lights.

The lights introduce a gap near the trigger, because they have a substantially larger diameter than the trigger guard. But the guard LOOKS covered, so it is TREATED as if it is covered. But shooting it in the holster is child's play, quite literally: a little finger went onto the trigger, bang, officer down. WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE WITH A HOLSTERED 1911 IN CONDITION ONE EQUIPPED WITH A STRAP and still unlikely without a strap. IS possible with a striker fired pistol, because even a strap won't stop the firing cycle. In the US case I linked to, the fired case was still in the chamber because the pistol couldn't cycle AFTER the shot; but couldn't be stopped from FIRING the shot.

So: carrying a Glock type action in the ready to shoot configuration (who wouldn't) is NOT the same problem as carrying a 1911 in Condition One, or carrying a DA revolver hammer down.

And: we began covering trigger guards on the 1911 when Condition One became a pistol range standard, and added it to police holsters even for DA autos. Then to revolvers: because of assaults on the officers so that perhaps the pistol wouldn't be fired in the holster during the struggle. The straps then -- the thumb snap was brand new in the 1960s -- blocked the hammers of all. Even if one had an old Mauser broom handle!

But not on striker fired pistols.

Last edited by rednichols; 08-17-2017 at 08:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: