View Single Post

Old 08-20-2017, 01:54 AM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Wolf told me they typically get a couple OOB reports a year. Now in the first half of this year they get seven OOB reports from a single manufacture, S&W. M&P sales volume can't explain that.
Indeed, but without a proper statistical analysis we can't be sure there is a correlation between manufacturer and malfunction. It very well could be an anomaly, just simple chance that they've had 7 from the M&P line. It very well could have been 7 random AR15s. We just don't know.

Even so, the probability of 7 from any one manufacturer is surely low. Numbers are funny things. If not applied properly or analyzed properly, the wrong conclusions can be drawn. For example, it is possible that a significant correlation can be shown between the number of characters typed on the S&W Forum and the number of shooting fatalities in Chicago, but anyone with a brain can see that this cannot be real.

My only point in my last post was that there is a real connection between number of failures and sales volume. Does it account for this issue? Certainly not. Even so, I still believe that Wolf has done no real analysis and is just doing a knee jerk reaction. At the volume of .223/5.56 sales they do, losing the entire M&P15 market isn't going to significantly affect their bottom line. I may think their reaction is without analysis, but it's not the wrong way to go for them.

The only question left is, can there really be a flaw in the S&W design that doesn't show up in any other AR out there?