View Single Post

Old 08-23-2017, 12:11 AM
US Veteran

Liked 18,779 Times in 4,803 Posts

I never was a big fan of magnas, but I could work with 'em. Especially after adding a Tyler T grip. But for me, its more about function than looks. Several of my guns use this combo.
Regardless of frame size, all the guns I tend to shoot mostly in single action wear target grips. I wrap both hands around those and it gives me a good solid hold for target shooting.
Guns that may be called on for defensive use mostly wear aftermarket grips. For N-frames, I'm quite fond of the Herrett's Shooting Stars. My Model 29 wears Pachmyer presentations.
On K & L frames, my perfect grip is the old Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek Combats or on a snubbie the boot grips. They fit me just right and used to be quite cheap. Darn shame they don't make them anymore.

A couple of times, I've modified grips to suit my needs. For example, I wanted a set of round to square N-frame boot grips for my 3" Model 24-3. Nobody makes one. So I bought a cheap set of aftermarket grips, cut off the bottom, thinned and reshaped them a bit until they fit me. You can see them in this picture. You might also notice the Herretts on the 4" gun.

However, time marches on and things do change. I now have a touch of arthritis in my hands and the middle finger on my shooting hand won't close completely. I can't use magnas at all because the back of the trigger guard beats the snot out of that middle knuckle. It only takes a couple of cylinders full to bust it open and have me bleeding.

Anyway, bottom line is use what works for you. Who cares what anybody else thinks?