View Single Post

Old 08-30-2017, 06:18 AM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
Handsomely reasoned and worded, Wise A. These are from my armourer:

“Striker fired guns require no input from the user, but (also) do not offer any feedback if the trigger is obstructed. In *most* cases you can look at your holster and see it's clear and then keep your fingers out of the trigger guard. Sometimes in the real world you have to transition from lethal to non-lethal quickly and without looking away from your target, though.”

Note the comment about "looking" one's pistol back into the holster. Now, he's proven under fire, but most of us will be mighty shaky from fear and adrenalin if we're holstering after a shootout, and might even be under pressure to put our pistol away before the LEOs respond. So we just might not 'look' it into the holster and so ordinary people run the risk of being careless with their finger or their clothing, thereby getting caught in the covered guard.
That's a bridge I'll burn when I get to it--you have to win, first. On my particular holster, it's pretty easy to get the "mouth" of the holster clear. It's easy to practice, but there are definite steps.

Operative word being practice, practice, practice. It's not about being able to do it well, it's about not being incapable of doing it badly.

That, I think, is half the reason why you see so many of these incidents related to Everybody's Favorite Brand. Not only are there so many in circulation, but they're popular with LEO's. Cops don't get the best training forced on them, because it costs money and the department is accountable to the taxpayer. Training time costs a stupendous amount of money.

But you can have the same issue with any pistol design. Each one has its own set of must-not-do's (that's why I think that the particular set of issues you get with a no-thumb-safety-striker make them any different). I've seen some absolutely terrifying re-holstery with just about every pistol make out there--first-hand. Including the use of some holsters I think I could have comfortably used as socks.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: