View Single Post

Old 09-01-2017, 04:46 PM

Liked 1,364 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfarfuldog View Post
I am considering buying a second Python. I have no idea how many rounds are through it. I was a state and department firearms instructor for many years. My gun was used to demonstrate exercises for our department and basic police academy. Never a problem.

About 4 years ago I sold my stainless Python as well as my Magnum Carry. I really miss both of them. It will be hard to replace them at today's prices.
Given the Colt snake market and prices nowadays, unless you have a lot of disposable money and don't mind paying more than something is worth, you might want to find a similar S&W. I know a S&W doesn't have the action of a Colt V spring, but unless you're super anal about action designs like I am, a S&W is the way to go.

Especially if you're looking for a STS example. They were the cheapest to produce and finish at the factory, that's why they replaced nickel guns. Yet they are the most sought after and expensive Pythons today. This STS fad was initiated because STS and BSTS models are the easiest to buff/polish back to 99% thus increasing profit by 100s if not 1000s%.

The Colt market is a joke, with Colt specializing online dealers laughing all the way to the bank. If you are serious about buying another one and want to bring your A game, send me a PM and I will share my Python buying guide with you. It's 29 pages with photo references that covers everything you need to know. I even include a digital copy of the Jerry K shop manual as you can't become proficient or expert without having a thorough understanding of mechanics. I've been extensively studying Colt V spring models for years, mainly the Python.

Last edited by iPac; 09-01-2017 at 05:06 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: