View Single Post

Old 09-04-2017, 05:37 PM

Liked 10,682 Times in 3,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqllc007 View Post
I have done countless hours of ballistic gel testing
For 9mm the HST 124gr proved the most reliable and best performing 9mm out of short barrels such as the Glock43 or Shield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonuthin View Post
Absolutely correct! I have similar experience with all popular law enforcement ammo and nothing exceeds HST performance in any caliber standard load, weight or +p.

In Shields, after personal chrono tests, HST only loses a few percent velocity and outperforms Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo.

For the price, you can't go wrong with HST for duty or self-defense.
For those considering HST 124g +P ammo for use in your Shield 9, test it enough to be sure that it works in your Shield. I had 3 failures to feed in 31 rounds with my Shield with the HST 124s. It was the only one of the six self-defense rounds I tested to perform so abysmally. My Shield was thoroughly broken in at the time, with over 3000 rounds through it. In contrast, the 50 HST 147g rounds I shot loaded and fired without an issue, though they weren't as accurate as some of the others.

So far, the SD ammo that has been the most reliable my Shield 9 has been Hornady Critical Duty 135g +P, which has fired perfectly with each of the 174 rounds I've tried. I will not use any round unless my Shield has fired it at least 100 consecutive times without a problem. The Hornady may not have performed the best in all of the short barrel gel tests, but I carry it because it loads, fires, and ejects every time I pull the trigger. Just make sure that whatever brand of SD ammo you use does the same.