View Single Post

Old 09-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Liked 819 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muss Muggins View Post
I have flown with a gun over the years enough to know this: Every airline and every airport is different. Airlines differ airport to airport, as I've seen procedures change from arrival flight to departure flight. Be compliant with the airline regulations as posted when you arrive, but be prepared for anything to happen. When "anything" happens, go with the flow. Do what they tell, when they tell you, and how they tell you. I've never had any issues doing those three things. Remember, they are the ones who decide whether or not your gun goes with you, not you. Blustering up and waving a copy of their website regulations doesn't do anything but make you "that guy," and I've seen it result in somebody missing their flight.
I agree with what you said for the most part, but watch out if the airline has done it wrong, and be prepared to question them. (Politely!)

I flew out of Burbank one time via Southwest. I declared I had a firearm in a locked container in the suitcase. I also withheld a Fender Strat in its case without putting it on the scale.

The agent was showing a new guy the ropes, and distracted. I filled out the card and sticker. She printed out the flight sticker put it on the suitcase handle and tossed the suitcase on the conveyor. She never asked to see that the firearm was unloaded and locked in the inside case. I interupted her and told her the firearm is in that suitcase you just tossed on the conveyor.

She said, "No, it's in there," pointing to the guitar case. I said, no it's in there pointing to the suitcase going out of sight. She picked up her radio and called for a supervisor because a customer, "Didn't declare a firearm." I immediately corrected her and said she had better get that supervisor here now.

They recalled the suitcase and we went through the process correctly with the supervisor there. When we were all done, I spoke with the supervisor privately and explained that the agent was distracted the first time around by the new employee.

On another note there is a Southwest agent at Burbank that knows her stuff. She's not gun shy when she checks to see that the firearm is unloaded, knows how the process is suppose to go and it goes as smooth. I have asked to speak to a supervisor, called her over and taken 30 seconds to commend her work in the past.

Bill