View Single Post

Old 09-09-2017, 10:09 PM

Liked 4,303 Times in 2,113 Posts

First, you can train yourself to use either eye as dominate. If you don't believe that consider all those who have lost the use of one eye due to injury or disease.

Personally for over 40 years I used an SLR camera using my left eye because that is vastly more convenient than using the right eye. As a result this normally right eye dominate person became left eye dominate. When I became a re-entry shooter after becoming rather bored with digital photography I found that using my left eye as dominate wasn't as convenient for right handed shooting as it was when using an SLR. So, I simply started closing my left eye while shooting. Only took about 3 months to re-train myself to be right eye dominate. In addition one positive to doing this is that I can now use either eye as dominate depending on which hand I am shooting with.

BTW, while it's purely a stunt I can also aim two pistols at the same target and hit center with both hands firing at the same time. BTW, if I haven't practiced doing this for a while it does take a bit of left/right eye winking to get my brain to sync up so it's not something I would recommend for Defensive shooting and it's also something that would get you asked to leave at most public ranges. However it does illustrate just how flexible the Human Brain is and that with some effort on your part you can retrain yourself to use a different eye as dominate.

I'll also point out that it's rather typical for a right hander to shoot left and this is most likely caused by "pulling" the gun left at the release point. An issue that is usually a matter of experimenting with finger placement on the trigger to correct.