View Single Post

Old 09-11-2017, 06:03 AM

Liked 26,409 Times in 9,155 Posts

It is very seldom that we can out shoot our weapons!

My standard 22 Center fire bullet is a 50 grain poly tipped boat tail. Either the Nolser Ballistic tip, the Sierra BlitzKing, the Hornady V-Max or the Combined Technologies Silver Ballistic Tip (the most expensive!). Barns has some entries, but I haven't found them to be as accurate as any of the other 4. When I get a new 22 Center fire I use which ever I have the most of to develop the most accurate powder/primer combination, then load up 5 of each of the others and see which bullet the rifle (or Contender) like best. I only have had one rifle that like tow of the bullets the same, normally there will be one that out shines they others! Now that silencers are becoming popular, My AR likes a different bullet/load silenced than unsilenced. Of 6 rifles and 2 Contenders 3 like Combined Tech. best, and 2 each for the others. (Includes the gun that likes 2 different bullets best .077 groups at 100 yards!) (I also use a different bullet in all 22 Hornet guns and one for a 223 long range rifle.)

Also I found that the different chamber designs effect the light bullets performance. I have a very good Cooper 21 (1:12 Twist) that says it has a 223 chamber, but it turns out to have a 5.56 NATO chamber. The extra free bore caused 1/2 to 3/4 inch group problem. I increased the OAL length about 1/8" past SAMMI until I touched the lands and the group immediately dropped below 1/8" group! Being a single shot, I don't have to worry about fitting in a magazine.

Just some info and ideas for you to try out, to see if you can catch Mr. Gofer's eye!

Ivan
The Following 2 Users Like Post: