View Single Post

Old 09-15-2017, 08:06 AM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks, I hadn't realized that the Model 27 and 28 were N-Frames. I'll look at those also. The 627 V-Comp looks good also, but is a bit more $ and size than I want to walk around with. I haven't seen speed loaders for 8 shots either. The 586 L Comp also looks good, but I'd really rather have a 5 inch barrel, and while I think I could stand a 4 inch barrel, I think a 3 inch would be too short.

Again, thanks for the information. I have a couple more questions.

First of all I realize that 2000 rounds isn't a lot, but they will all be .357 Magnum, not 38 Specials. I have a great Model 19 that I use for match shooting. I target shoot (bullseye), not any form of action pistol, so in my circles 2000 rounds of 357 Mag is a lot, but 10000 rounds of 22LR in a target pistol and 5000 rounds through a .45 ACP isn't much at all.

cowboy4evr wrote "It's sad , folks don't realize the real strengths of the K-frame 357's . It was the " light for caliber " 110-125gr bullets that cracked forcing cones and would , over time shoot them loose . They were using a powder charge with those light bullets that is the same charge weight for the 41 magnum / 210gr bullet and that's in the N-frame ." I read a similar comment elsewhere. This is counter intuitive to me, but in order to keep the revolver running longer, using heavy loads, I need to use a heavier bullet? I plan on using jacketed bullets, which will wear the barrel more quickly, but for my purpose that's what I'll probably shoot. I have 158 grain jacketed hollow points to work up a load with. I guess I answered this one on my own.

My other question involves speed loaders for both a 686 and a 686 plus (7 shot). I have an HKS 6 shot speed loader for the Model 19. I like the Safariland speed loader better and I have 8 or those now for the same gun. The HKS carries the rounds more loosely. I noticed the Speed Beez, speed loader. These appear to be for competition shooting but they do make a belt carrier for $35 a piece. Has anyone used these and if so, how well did they work? Does anyone carry Moon Clips for defensive purposes? This place sets up the revolver for moon clips and has what are effectively pocket protectors for the Moon clips.

Welcome to TK Custom.com & Moonclips.com

Thanks