View Single Post

Old 09-24-2017, 02:46 PM

Liked 934 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb View Post
I really enjoy reading this thread. I was fortunate enough to acquire a CS-1 2M 4" awhile back. I am curious about how many of these fine revolvers survived destruction from one of our previous administrations?

I think a good estimate is posted earlier in the thread. Just didn't go back far enough.
I don't know if that will ever be know for sure. In March of 2003, the U.S. Customs Service was disbanded the units placed under Department of Homeland Security. The uniformed Inspectors became part of Customs and Border Protection, and the Special Agents were combined with former INS Agents and became Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

That being said the records of these firearms are probably gone forever. I know many were sold in exchange sales prior to 1992 when the Clinton administration came in. After an incident where some former Customs revolvers that had been surplus and sold to a distributor, were stolen. Even though the guns were being shipped from the distributor to a dealer, once it was determined the guns had originated from U.S. Customs, Janet Reno launched an investigation as to why the guns were sold. President Clinton ordered all sales of surplus firearms to cease.

I know after they were replaced, some were kept in field offices and converted over to shoot simunition only for force on force training. Some were rumored to have been sent overseas to friendly governments, and the rest I fear were destroyed.

I was lucky enough to get my 3 inch CS-1 when Lou Horton was selling them. It is a M2 stamped revolver, so I know the extractor star problem has been repaired at the U.S. Firearms and Training Staff facility at Ft. Benning, GA.

As a retired Agent, I will not ever sell my CS-1.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: