View Single Post

Old 09-24-2017, 05:31 PM

Liked 523 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfils View Post
Hello all! I’m Michelle and I’m new to this forum and shooting. I’m practicing for my LTC and I recently bought a SW 442. I went to the shooting range a couple of times and loved it!!! Everything except the recoil. I replaced my grip with a Hogue rubber grip for a “J” frame because the original was a little small and this also helped the recoil, but this baby still packs a punch. I can tell that changing ammo made a difference, so I’m here asking for advice on good bullets for target practice that won’t leave my wrist in pain later. My control is good so I’m not so worried about self defense, but when it’s time to play I wanna enjoy it. I still welcome advice on SD rounds though since I have so much to learn. Thanks!
Welcome, Michelle!
Here are my suggestions, from least to most expensive:

Since you're new to shooting, the first thing I would suggest is getting quality instruction on how to properly grip, shoot and handle recoil from a revolver. (You might be past that point already, but I've seen guys who called themselves "experienced shooters" who didn't have a clue how to handle a revolver).

As others have mentioned above, 148 gr wadcutters perform reasonably well and don't recoil as much as +p loads.

You might also want to try a variety of grips -- the Hogues are great provided they fit your hand. I find it easier to handle recoil without finger grooves but many people tell me the exact opposite. Another grip option you might like is the Pachmayr Gripper Decelerator, the rubber is much softer and can reduce felt recoil.

You could have the barrel ported. This comes with some drawbacks for a defensive pistol - you could have hot gases and unburned powder end up in your face if you have to shoot from a retention position, but it will bring down recoil.

Finally, you could consider a different carry gun. When I carry a J-frame I prefer the all-steel versions myself, the extra weight makes no practical difference to me. A K-frame (such as a Model 10 or 64 with a 2" barrel) is even easier to shoot. I realize this is the S&W forum but a Ruger SP101 or Kimber K6S will also recoil a lot less than a 442.
The Following User Likes This Post: