View Single Post

Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 AM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

You'll get a lot of opinions.

We have 500 meter matches at our club (I don't participate). Now and then an old guy with an AR wearing a BSA Platinum scope will show up and score better than most everyone with top-shelf glass. I think he uses an inexpensive scope just to PO the other guys, and it works , cuz I've seen the equipment this guy has and he ain't worried about money.

Truth of the matter is that for sunny day recreational shooting holding on the target at 500yds doesn't require super duper glass.

Earlier mentioned was SWFA. They sell a decent budget optic for $299. Lot's of guys over at SnipersHide slap a SWFA SS on their expensive builds until they can afford a NightForce or whatever other high-end glass they intend to acquire. The guys seem quite impressed with them. That's where I learned about em. Track well and mechanisms hold up well to abuse that I can attest to. I have a fixed 16x SWFA SS on one of my long range .22s. Shooting from 50yds to 300yds with standard velocity .22LR requires a lot of turret cranking! And my tired old eyes appreciate the large well marked turrets. Mine has performed exceptionally well for years though it's eye box isn't very forgiving. I think I'd buy the fixed 10x or 12x next time.

Happy optics hunting.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-25-2017 at 10:34 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: