View Single Post

Old 09-25-2017, 03:15 PM

Liked 523 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
If the Army and Marines trained troops with 22LR it would save millions of dollars, but they don’t. If an when a firearm has to be used to defend yourself the most important factor is skill level with the particular weapon and ammo. One cannot acclimate to a weapon unless they shoot that weapon enough to gather maximum skill handling, aiming, managing trigger and recoil. That is a irrefutable fact based upon the logic that the more use use something the better you get at using it.

So my recommendation is always practice for SD with your EDC and EDC ammo. Let’s assume you agree with that last sentence, and your objective is to reduce recoil. There is only one option for doing that. You have to select ammo that will not be too hot but will still met the characteristics of good SD ammo.
Spot on. I love .22s (and .38s with light loads), but wouldn't do more than 50% of my practice that way, you just don't get the same training when there's little to no recoil.

For me a carry gun + load need to be at least somewhat enjoyable to shoot, or I know I'm not going to practice enough to retain an acceptable level of proficiency. If a .22 was all I could shoot comfortably, I'd carry that.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: