View Single Post

Old 09-26-2017, 05:05 PM

Liked 174 Times in 63 Posts

Before I retired, I had enough status in my company to have a reserved parking space on the ground floor of our parking garage. But I didn't have enough status to have a space near the door. My slot was against the back wall, probably 40 yards from the door, and the maintenance people weren't too diligent about keeping all the lights working.

One morning I came in about 6:00, as was my habit. Since the garage was poorly lit, I was in Condition Yellow, and saw the guy come out of the stairwell after I had passed it. He was dirty and ragged, and had a vacant look in his eyes, like he was high on something. He was about 20 feet behind me.

I turned and faced him, held my hand up, and said "Stop." He just grinned, a look that plainly said, "You mine, sucka!" That was when I pulled my coat back and put my hand on the butt of my gun. He stopped, looked confused, then walked back into the stairwell.

I continued into the building and reported the incident to the security guard.

An amusing aftermath--later in the morning, our chief of security came to my office. He said they had caught the guy, and the guy said I had a gun. The security guy smiled and said, "You are aware that you're not allowed to carry a gun in the office, aren't you?"

I said, "Of course."

He said, "Okay, I just had to ask."
The Following 3 Users Like Post: