View Single Post

Old 09-27-2017, 07:29 AM

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

Just this morning I decided I ought to post about my experience with what I believe to be a Victory model and I am happy to see this thread.
Unfortunately we are doing this in absentia (old school for without the gun in hand) as I sold it over 35 years ago.
I bought it in a local gun shop, where I knew the owner well, in the mid 70's. When I got to the shop that morning Ken was in negotiations with a lady who had brought the gun in. She left it behind for a while as she had other business to do. I asked Ken about it and he told me she was selling it because she no longer wanted her husband to have it in the house. He said to offer her 40 dollars for it and she took the offer.
The interesting part of that gun is that, although it was marked 38 S and W on the barrel it was overmarked 38 Special on the barrel flat and was in fact totally correctly chambered for 38 Special.
When I sold the gun to a Smith and Wesson collector in the mid 80's the mystery was solved. Very simply the gun had been bored and sleeved and the chambers cut for 38 Special. He felt that work, because it was done so well that the sleeve lines were only barely detectable on two chambers, would have likely been done by the British firm of Parker Hale. And I over doubled what I paid for it, selling it for 100CAD.
I wish I still had that gun so I could tell you more. Hopefully it has already made it into this database and one day when I have more time I will find it here.
The Following User Likes This Post: