View Single Post

Old 09-28-2017, 07:46 PM

Liked 1,543 Times in 841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I agree about the base of the bullet but I sort of like the driving bands fully filled out and NOT frosted.

If the variance in length is due to nasty, uneven sprue cuts, try letting the molds cool just a couple of seconds longer. If that is a no-go, try a new sprue plate. Yours may be dull, warped, have lead build-up on the underside or a mix of the above.

Bruce
I also like it better when it looks perfect(just like with girls....but don't you tell my wife!)What I meant is even if the side or nose has a hairline,it won't show on a 20 or 35yds target.I know,by handgunners standard is a medium-good distance but as per rifle standards,that's a very short distance.And the bullet doesn't know if it has been propelled from a rifle or handgun;only that it responds to the same laws of physics.
If the base is uneven,check for any lead buildup under the sprueplate and if there's any,stop casting right away.Use a sharp rasor blade and clean it up while it is hot(can also do it when cold but lead is of course harder to remove)Of course,use gloves..You'll also at this point have to clean the top of the mould.
Qc