View Single Post

Old 09-28-2017, 10:15 PM

Liked 105 Times in 39 Posts
Default M38 Bodyguard - Once repaired, twice shy?

This isn't a "right" or "wrong" question; I'm just looking to get some different perspectives:
I had my Model 38 no-dash Bodyguard at the range about a year ago, and I noticed at some point that I was able to turn the cylinder without it locking up when the hammer was down. However, if I pulled the trigger in DA mode, it also turned the cylinder and functioned.
Obviously, I knew that the cylinder should lock up when the hammer was down, so I returned it to S&W for repair (at my expense, since it is not covered by the lifetime warranty due to its age.) Not exactly sure what they did, because the repair order was vague.
In any case, the gun works fine since I got it back. But I have always had this nagging doubt in the back of my head about carrying it, because I wonder if something else might go wrong at an inopportune time. (If this were a range gun, I wouldn't care.)
I could sell this one and buy another ... but this gun has a great DA trigger, unlike the newer models. Plus, it doesn't have the dreaded internal lock. Plus, of course, I could end up buying a new lemon.
My question for you: Do you consider a gun "tainted" if you have to return it for a repair, and would you be reluctant to carry it? Or, assuming you've had it repaired by a reliable source, do you have no qualms about carrying it after a repair?
I really like this gun. Just having some "marital" issues with it because of its past behavior.
Thanks

Last edited by gunsrfun1; 09-28-2017 at 10:20 PM.