View Single Post

Old 09-30-2017, 06:30 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,717 Times in 2,631 Posts

One interesting thing that the photos reveal is the rebated grip frame -- the shallow step in the backstrap. That allowed fitting the S&W Regulation Police stocks to the frame in order to convert the small steel round butt frame to a larger square butt handful. The RP stocks were standard on the company's .32 HE target models of this era (post 1917), but the .22/32 HFTs usually had the even larger two-screw extension stocks. These could be mounted directly on the rounded grip frame with no modification. Only for a brief period in the earl 1920s did the .22/32 come with the RP stocks as standard issue. I would not have expected to see a rebated frame on a 1925 HFT, but this won't be the first time that I have been surprised by a S&W.

Both RP and the two-screw extension stocks could be mounted on a rebated frame. My photos are in disarray at the moment, or I would post a couple to show what I am talking about. Perhaps another member could post some pics if it seems like it might be helpful.