View Single Post

Old 09-30-2017, 11:56 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 968 Times in 219 Posts

Gary:

I can only say that the empirical evidence tells me my technique works. I shoot nothing but Black Powder in CAS, and have been doing so for over ten years. Although I did not invent Murphy's Mix, I have been using it and Ballistol as described for a long time now in all the firearms that I shoot with Black Powder. As do several other shooters I know. My main match guns are a pair of 2nd Gen Colts, chambered for 45 Colt. My main match rifle is a 44-40 Uberti replica of the 1860 Henry. My main match shotgun is an old Stevens side lock hammer double from about 1906. In addition to these, I occasionally shoot my nickel plated New Model #3, a Merwin Hulbert Pocket Army chambered for 44-40, a pair of replica 1858 Remingtons equipped with 45 Colt cartridge conversion cylinders, an antique 44-40 1894 Marlin, a 44-40 Uberti replica 1873 rifle, two antique 38-40 Winchesters Model 1873 and one antique 44-40 Winchester Model 1894. Maybe a few more, that's all I can think of right now. Oh yeah, add a Second Model Russian, a first Model Schofield, and two 44 Double Actions to that list.

Before I tried this technique with any guns I took a piece of low carbon steel and coated it with Murphy's Mix and set it aside to dry. Several days later the Mix had dried, leaving behind an oily smear on the steel. There was no rust.

As I believe I stated, this technique is not for everyone. If one has a problem putting a gun away knowing there is powder residue inside, one will not be happy with this technique. I have been doing this for over ten years now, and whenever I take one of my guns completely apart for a thorough cleaning, there is always plenty of black, oily guck inside. There is never any rust. Just a few weeks ago I took apart one of my Colts that had gone several years without being cleaned out. As I expected there was plenty of black, oily guck inside. There was no rust.

Seems to me I must be doing something right, and I don't have the hassle of completely disassembling everything and heating the parts to dry them. Been there, done that, and I got tired of the flash rust that usually happened.

Wiregrassguy: never heard of Strike Hold. Looked it up and it does not say anything about being Black Powder compatible. I suspect the amount of fouling generated by Black Powder might be a bit daunting for it. I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing because it ain't broke and don't need fixing.

S&WsRsweet: We have something called Style Points. Not official, just bragging rights. I have probably accumulated a few over the years. There are so many guys shooting Black Powder now that I don't get much special notice unless somebody takes a close look at my guns.

JSR III. Yes, it was at the Marlboro show. I saw it Saturday morning, but like a dope I had forgotten my checkbook. I drove home to get my checkbook and returned, hoping it would still be there. It was, and I bought it. It was the absolute best thing I saw at the show, there were a couple of other items that interested me, but nothing like this NM#3. Sorry, I won't discuss the price on the forum, I will send you a PM regarding what I paid.

lebomm:

My 44 Russian load is Starline brass, any large pistol primer although I usually use Federals, the Mav-Dutchman Big Lube 200 grain bullet sized to .428 and lubed with SPG, and 1.3CC of FFg. I usually use Schuetzen. 1.3CC of Schuetzen is about 19.5 grains when I weigh it out, the actual weight will vary by brand because not all Black Powder weighs the same. This amount of powder will be compressed about 1/16" when the bullet is seated on it. I do not use any wads, there is no need. The Mav-Dutchman bullet, along with all the Big Lube designs have been specifically designed for Black Powder. As you can see in this photo, they have a huge lube groove which carries enough lube to keep the bore of a rifle coated with soft lube for its entire length. This is the secret to keeping a Black Powder cartridge rifle shooting all day long without loosing accuracy do to a build up of hard fouling in the bore. This load has a mild recoil in a large pistol such as the NM#3, but I certainly would not want to stand in front of one.

Regarding the Uberti replica Top Breaks, they are somewhat problematic for shooting with Black Powder. This is because when Uberti lengthened the cylinders enough to accept long cartridges such as 45 Colt and 44-40, they did not stretch the frame an equal amount. Instead, they shortened the gas collar at the front of the cylinder. The gas collar is what shields the cylinder arbor from fouling blasted out of the barrel/cylinder gap. The shortened gas collar is not able to deflect fouling blasted out of the b/c gap as well as the original design, and they tend to bind up quickly when fired with Black Powder. If I was you, I would use a bullet such as the Mav-Dutchman lubed with a good BP compatible bullet lube such as SPG, to keep your Russian rolling as long as possible without binding. If it starts to bind, you can pull the cylinder, wipe the arbor and front of the cylinder of as much fouling as possible, pop the cylinder back in and keep shooting. Be sure to lube with Ballistol. Your cleaning solution is up to you, I have said what works best for me.

Incidentally, I slugged the bore with one of my .428 bullets. Because S&W used five groove rifling it is difficult to get an exact measurement of the rifling groove diameter. My best guess is the rifling diameter is about .430. The chambers are right at about .431, so the .428 bullet slips through nicely. The reason I use .428 is I use this same bullet in my 44-40 loads. My 44-40 rifles vary from .427 to .429 for rifling groove diameter. .428 is a good compromise and works well in everything.

Lastly, I guess I have to letter this gun now. Interesting about it possibly being part of a shipment to Japan. I did not buy it as an investment gun, I bought it as a shooter. Don't know if being sent to Japan will have any effect on its value.

By the way, Don looked it over and said the treatment of the lanyard ring indicated it was a custom ordered gun. The SN on the butt is sideways, rather than running the length of the grip frame. He said this is correct for a NM#3 with a lanyard ring installed per a custom order. At least that's what I think he said.

Don?

Got to load up some more 44 Russians today, tomorrow is the last Cowboy match of the year, and I would like it to be New Model Number Three day for me.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: