View Single Post

Old 10-01-2017, 03:24 AM

Liked 534 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by model3sw View Post
When these were ordered with the Lanyard the serial number on the butt was placed in this position.

This one was ordered with a lanyard. Although it looks like a US lanyard, the Japanese orders usually had a circular ring more than the D shaped ring but there's no formal rule on the type of lanyard.

You'll never know for sure until you letter it. I'm curious about the proof mark behind the lanyard.
Hi Sal,

I agree there's a good possibility his will letter with the Lanyard Ring...Although Frank Allan & I have discussed on more than a few occasions the possibility S&W may have supplied the Japanese with Factory Lanyard Rings to be installed in their Arsenals after they arrived in Japan!!

Mainly being most of the NM#3 Revolvers they ordered...Especially in the later shipments...Were pulled from pre-existing inventory to fill their order & likely most didn't have Lanyard Rings!! Meaning that it would have been a big undertaking to have them installed by S&W before shipping...Really hard to say!!

Regarding the Stamp on the Butt...I'm already working on that & we'll see if I can readily identify it's meaning...Being I believe it to be a Japanese Character Stamp...Rather than a Proof Mark!!

Bottom line is...As you've already made note of...The Letter's going to end what's all been speculation up until now!!

Last edited by Masterpiece; 10-01-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Typo!!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: