View Single Post

Old 10-08-2017, 06:36 PM

Liked 6,029 Times in 1,306 Posts

Not only am I cross eye dominant but have both slight myopia and astigmatism. When renewing my drivers license neither eye is up to the standard but both working together pass the test.

A few years ago I began to suffer the effects of middle age on my eyesight, particularly when reading in less than full light. I visited the Optomitrist who recommended “ hobby” glasses for reading and suggested I try some disposable contact lenses. The difference when driving was such that I have been using them ever since, especiallly when driving and at work. A year later I also picked up some prescription glasses for those times when I do not want the contacts in all day.

The contacts are the only way I can see my front sight properly. Not sure why the glasses don’t work though.

Early this year I travelled to a 2 day IPSC comp. At the end of day 1 I was removing my contacts when the left one, master eye, tore. I shot day 2 with my non master eye and ended up taking out my Division/grade plus second spot in my age category.

Weekend before last I attended another 2 day comp about 75 minutes drive away. I put in a new set of contacts but the left one was irritating my eye a bit so half way along the journey I absently rubbed my eye. The lens fell out and I couldn’t find it on the floor, so I shot day 1, (IPSC), non master eye. I came close (2 1/2 %) of the top shooter 2 grades above me!

Next day (Speed) I had another new contact lens in my master eye. First run on first stage and I had difficulty hitting some plates. Second run, same result. Third run I went back to non-master eye and hit them all.

Twice during the day I tried to shoot a string master eye, both times the string was the throwaway on the stage.

Yesterday I shot my standard 10 meter training target non-master eye. Results for 25 shots were 22 A’s and 3 C’s, slightly better than my usual results (my “required standard” is an 80% A zone rate). I’m going to shoot non-master eye for a few weeks to see if my A zone hit ratio continues to improve.

If it does I’ll be shooting non- master eye in our IPSC Nationals next month.

Last edited by Kiwi cop; 10-08-2017 at 06:38 PM.