View Single Post

Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 PM

Liked 700 Times in 392 Posts

Do I like Ahrends grips? I've ordered a set for every revolver in my collection. They're in my mailbox before the 3 day (Illinois) waiting period is up.

Retro grips have a round front, compared to the flat front on the new versions. The Retro Targets are about the most comfortable grip I've used. The flat front is better for indexing, e.g., for self defense. I have Retro Targets on a vintage K17 (.22 LR) with a 6" barrel.

Although they closely resemble the traditional S&W targets, Arhends have very little taper until the butt end. They share this property with all Ahrends grips, Retro and modern. This means they have less tendency to rise under recoil, and are less likely to need repositioning in off-hand shooting. Unlike the modern style, Retro grips are asymmetric, with a groove on the latch side to clear a quick loader, like the S&W versions.

They have no checkering, which displays the wood nicely. Mine are Coco Bolo, now protected, but the closest wood now is Moradillo. I prefer the oiled version to varnish, since it brings out the grain better.