View Single Post

Old 10-10-2017, 04:23 AM

Liked 25,777 Times in 8,710 Posts

The best method I've found to properly disassemble and reassemble the Cylinder and ER is with the use of my Drill Press Chuck. I use it without power of course and just use the 3 Jaw Chuck to effectively hold the ER beyond the knurling so it does not get damaged. A high quality Drill Press Chuck has precision Jaws and will not mar the ER finish. Tighten the Chuck enough so the ER will not spin in it unintentionally. Evenly tighten it with the Chuck Key on all 3 positions to insure even pressure.

I'd suggest taking the assembly apart, clean it properly with a tooth brush and dry off, spray it with a very light coating of Rig #2 Oil or Remoil, and reassemble in Drill Chuck. Remember, the thread is a left handed one! I personally use no Locktite as I find it completely unnecessary and if tightened properly it never comes apart by itself. Do not "Gorilla tighten it" but tighten it evenly and snugly holding the Drill's Chick with one hand and the Cyl/ ER assembly with the other.

NOTE: INSERT EMPTY CASES IN AT LEAST 3 OF THE CHARGE HOLES - so the Star Wheel does not get twisted! Do this for BOTH disassembly and reassembly. REMEMBER...... REVERSE THREAD.

I have used this method many many times with complete success, no marring, no damage, no bending and I've never had a ER loosen up again unintentionally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1319.jpg (66.8 KB, 20 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post: