Thread: 442-1
View Single Post

Old 10-12-2017, 08:47 AM

Liked 286 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoman44 View Post
I have been reloading for 15 years or so and have made mistakes. Luckily, the guns were not damaged as they were squib loads.

My terse response was due to the implication that the gun might be at fault. In all my years of dealing with handguns and reloads, I cannot recall one example of this type of damage resulting from a defective gun. It has always been the reloaded ammo.

I will try to be more diplomatic in responding next time.
Photoman, all is forgiven! I'm glad you have never made a mistake like this one I apparently made. Of course, I'm sorry now I even implied the gun was at fault. I recall a couple of squibs that I fortunately caught. One time, I inadvertently added the wrong powder to my measure to bring up the level and continued loading, then caught my foul-up. I added (I think) RL7 to 2400! I violated that rule of keeping more than one container of powder on the bench. It takes a while to pull apart 40 rounds! As I mentioned in another post, I wanted to see what a double-charge of the load I was using looked like. I cleared the press, started a single case, double-charged it deliberately, and looked at the powder level. This I remember. I do NOT remember dumping that charge! I think habit took over or I had a senior moment and just loaded a bullet. Expensive lesson learned. Please take care and be safe.