View Single Post

Old 10-12-2017, 06:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default SW99 Mishap Advice Needed

I purchased a SW99 .40 a few months back and had shot it a few times and liked the feel and accuracy. However, today I was back at my range and I had gone through all but 3 rounds of the two boxes when I thought it had exploded.
The impact blew the gun out of my hand and it was lying on the ground as I was staking stock of fingers and thumb.
To be truthful my daughter had just given me two boxes of Ultamax (Remanufactured Ammo) and I said I would try it and see if it performed OK.
I’ve attached a photo of the case I finally extracted by tapping a long screwdriver down the barrel.
First let me say that the previous round fired normally and struck the steel target.
I would say it was the remanufactured ammo; however, it’s evident that the blowout happened before the round had fully entered the chamber. Also notice that the primer had been struck by the firing pin and this having occured prior to the round being fully seated and the breach not quite closed.
I really don’t believe, due to the evidence, that it was the fault of the ammo and I’m more concerned with it being a malfunction of the gun itself.
It looks like the firing pin was either struck before the cycle completed or it was not withdrawn after firing the previous round.
I feel very lucky that there is no lasting damage to my hand, but now I’m concerned that it may have malfunctioned.
All this to say, has anyone else experienced this problem before, either with the SW99 or any other gun?
If so did you learn exactly what caused the mishap?
I fired one more round after this happened and the gun fired and cycled without a problem.
But Can I Trust It Now ???
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Faulty Round-2.jpg (101.9 KB, 61 views)