View Single Post

Old 10-13-2017, 12:09 AM

Liked 85 Times in 36 Posts

On May 23, 2015, I timed all of my presses. My primer drop has not had a single misfeed in that time. Now I needed to fix the case feeder. I found that it would drop cases upside down, and jam, where it was supposed to, drop.

Now, pistol and rifle cases had two separate problems. The rifle cases will have a case sit on top of the plate pushing down on the one that is about to drop causing the case to hit the drop gate not allowing it to drop. Now the pistol will be pushed up in front of the plate causing cases to drop upside down.

I fixed both problems with one small fix. I took a bullet wiper from the Hornady bullet collator and a wire clamp and the tube from a broken spray bottle. The tube is used for pistol and actually pushes the cases into the plate or ejects it not allowing it to stack up and drop the cases upside down. For rifle, I just use the wiper to knock the case that rides on top of the feeder plate.

Now the only other fix for the case feeder that was needed was for .357, .40, and 10mm. Now Hornady came out with a new drop tube that is in between the small and large. But you are supposed to use the large feed tube. I found with the large feed tube .40 cases would cant left to right to left causing a case to catch the drop tube. I fixed this with a piece of poly tube that is .75" outside diameter (same size as the large feed tube) and .50" inside diameter (larger than the small feed tube). I used a taper drill for the top so the cases would not catch at the top.

My case feeder now loads faster than I can pull the handle, all right side up.

Here is a photo of the inside of the case collator.

Last edited by DRAINSMITH; 10-13-2017 at 12:12 AM.