View Single Post

Old 10-13-2017, 10:13 AM

Liked 221 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lively View Post
If someone can shrug off 5 rounds of 223 I would not count on them falling like they got hit with the hammer of Thor when shot by a 308.

While the military has to use some sort of FMJ you do not. The older 55 grain ammo would tumble and break up but the newer 62 grain ammo is designed to favor penetration so it often results in 22 caliber holes. A 30 caliber hole would be more effective but in either caliber something that expands, tumbles or breaks up would be much better.

My vote would be to use something other than 62 grain green tip ammo in your 5.56 and buy a bolt gun to satisfy your desire for a 308.

After looking at a few of the low cost bolt guns I ended up buying a Weatherby Vanguard select made by Howa instead. At about $500 after I bought rings it was more expensive than the low cost rifles but I think I got what I paid for. Good trigger, nice recoil pad, smooth bolt, seems well made in general and Weatherby guarantees 1 MOA 3 shot groups with good ammo. I just put a scope on it last week and have not had a chance to take to the range but if it lives up to the accuracy claims I will be very happy with it.
I was also looking at the vanguard but the price was OK but I was expecting a chrome lined barrel. I do not like carbon steel as it is more maintenance.