View Single Post

Old 10-13-2017, 12:44 PM

Liked 19,918 Times in 8,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmansguns View Post
Hello Bam

When I bought the Model 17 it came as shown and with those deep relief grips. There was such a negligible turn line then that I almost thought "as-new" but again...I just bought the gun and since it was a private sale from a known good guy, there was no "story" involved so as I said earlier, I never Lettered and probably won't.

My serial number is 3 K 4468, and SCSW 4th shows 1971 serial number range from 3 K 1 to 3 K 31279 so I'm thinking maybe it was made in 1971, but didn't ship until years later (with those stocks) or the stocks were changed by someone before me (it had two prior owners I heard).

Either way I love the gun for balance (a little better for me than my Model 34 with my hands...not the best for wife and daughters) and accuracy, even plinking and I never looked for a speed loader for 22LR, so don't have the need for the deep relief.

Is there some documentation about the introduction date for the deep relief stocks that narrows down the year(s) when they were factory installs vs accessory sales? Do you know what the factory code for the stocks would be if an original K frame came with these and still had the original box?

Thanks for the updates and as always.........I learn something new about our collecting hobby, shooting sports, and S&W in particular, every single time I get on this wonderful site.
I was quoting the SCS&W 4th; "mid-70s"..... we all know S&W is; never say never, and never ever throws anything away.............all 17s I've seen were shipped with Magna grips/only reference in SCS&W is to Magna Style grips ....... but many many switch to Target grips.

Sold a pre-17 (1948) last year that had no-relief targets from the mid-50s
The Following User Likes This Post: