View Single Post

Old 10-16-2017, 11:53 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,070 Times in 2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1 View Post
I could not find 2400 modern data for 38 and 158 JHP. Beginning to think powder manufactures are trying to sell new products. Just backed off old data a little. Might even go up a grain or 2 and test accuracy.
While I usually agree companies will do anything for a profit this time I don't think so. When 2400 was originally released it was called 2400 Smokeless Rifle powder. It is still used today for rifle cartridges loaded with Cast bullets especially cartridges like the 45-70.

That said 2400 can be use in the .38 Special but you will use more power than with faster powders and usually slow powders at low pressures are not clean loads. Today there are much better choices and I'm very surprised you are getting better results with 2400 than Unique in a standard pressure .38 Special load. The slowest powder I use in the .38 Special is HS-6 and then usually at +P pressures.

Hay, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Enjoy the shooting and don't worry about what's usually done. BTW, what are reload specs?

Edit... Just by chance there is a picture of 2400 Smokeless Rifle Powder in the first post of this thread.
Historic Hercules 2400
SWCA #3437

Last edited by ArchAngelCD; 10-16-2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Add link
The Following User Likes This Post: