View Single Post

Old 10-17-2017, 05:00 PM

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Lightbulb Dead center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
The unburned powder burns once outside the barrel, causing muzzle flash. You probably will not find much unburned powder in the cases. 2400 is a powder that performs at higher pressure, so low pressure would result in inadequate ignition. Doesn't sound like your case, I would suspect you are into +p territory, possibly 38/44.

I was unable for a while to get 2400, I switched to Longshot which is about the same burn rate. I only use it for +p, and 38/44 loads.

I see no reason not to carry 38/44 in a J frame, had a detective friend that carried factory 38/44 in his model 36 forty years back. He fired just a limited number to get his bearings. The rest of his qualifications were done with standard factory loads. At that time it was 158 grain lead round nose.

If it was my gun I would limit the amount of loads with a slow powder. I use tightgroup for most plinking, but carry 38/44 loads in my guns. Maybe you should consider blue dot, still a slow/moderate powder with a strong reputation.
I believe you might have hit search "dead center". I received Alliant's 2017 Reloader's 2017 guide in mail today (free on Alliants sight).

Although they do not list 158gr. JHP, they do list 146gr. JHP +P

146gr. JHP Blue Dot 7.1gr 6" barrel @1000fps. +P
146gr. JHP #2400 9gr. 6" barrel @ 952fps. +P

Start charge reduce by 10%.

That would give 8.1gr. but I am using 158gr. JHP @ 7.6gr. #2400.

Yes, I was not working on plinking load, but accuracy. I have Blue Dot, but will be picking up Tightgroup when available.

Also interesting testing some factory ammo produce higher muzzle velocities with shorter barrels.
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/r...barrel-length/

Thanks for information