View Single Post

Old 10-18-2017, 10:28 AM

Liked 1,364 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
A lot of fuss is made over sights, but the reality is that they really are not all that relevant in the vast majority of armed defense scenarios in which a civilian would be involved. And the incidents where sights might be useful, night sights would be of no added benefit over standards ones. For civilian personal defense, threat focused shooting is the norm and is almost always preferred considering the reactive nature of such events and the distances at which they occur. And while I think it is possible to align the sights while visually focused on a target in a controlled range environment, such is not likely the case in a dynamic one where you will rely primarily on physical indexing methods and the guns silhouette superimposed on the threat and I don't think sights contribute anything meaningful to aiming the weapon in this manner.
This is a good point MisterX.

After speaking with renowned SAA expert Jim Martin on the phone one day, he informed me of how he only point shoots and how he is able to teach folks in 1hr or money back. This peaked my interest so I began reading books on point shooting. The ones composed by Fairbairn, Sykes, Applegate, etc. (I have digital copies of those books.)

The fact that one is not usually going to be able to "set up" a bullseye target shot in a self defense situation, it really gives the incentive of breaking one's reliance on sights.

I have begun training with point shooting, and I will say it is relatively easy. However, I haven't trained enough to where I'm a super shot. So while practicing I began to try different things, and found that I can focus solely on the target while just slightly referencing my front sight peripherally. Can get good, fast accuracy like that.

So now I just need a bright and easy to pick up front sight, and it's only used briefly for alignment reference. Anything else just isn't needed. In fact, I wish I could remove the blocky rear accro and install some kind of slimmer custom "channel" sight like most snubbies have.

Of course not everyone will pursue this, but it's an idea if one wants to. Relying on sights is never good if you have to use your gun.

Last edited by iPac; 10-18-2017 at 10:33 AM.