View Single Post

Old 10-18-2017, 11:16 AM

Liked 96 Times in 38 Posts
Default Appendix carry holster advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj View Post
For what it's worth (somewhere between a penny and a nickel)

I have been appendix carrying for over 5 years with 9mm and 45's.

For a little over 40 years I taught at a POST certified Academy. I beat into every recruit the 4 fundamentals of firearms safety. One of which is to never allow the muzzle sweep anything you are not willing to destroy and I would be on them like a cheap suit if I ever saw them use their support hand to "assist" them in reholstering. This usually resulted in them sweeping their S-Hand. Sticking a striker fired pistol into an appendix carry IWB holster, where it's pointing either at your "junk" or your femoral artery just seems wrong to me. I feel a little better about a revolver in that position, but it is still contrary to everything I see as a fundamental safety issue. As a firearms examiner for my agency I have examined only one pistol that had a true accidental discharge in the holster. It was due to a part failure and fortunately no one was injured. That was enough for me. I realize all you guys are adults and are capable of making sound decisions, but keep in mind that mechanical devices do fail.

I also can't get comfortable with partially-/fully- cocked strikers or hammers behind live primers pointed down there - I don't care what kind of mechanical safeties are in place. The plain physics of hammer-down revolvers or DA/SA semis are OK if they have exposed hammers that can controlled for reholstering, and verified through my shirt.

Last edited by reppans; 10-18-2017 at 11:18 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: