View Single Post

Old 10-18-2017, 08:34 PM

Liked 4,308 Times in 2,113 Posts

One tip about re-assembling the extractor to the extractor star. The thread used are an Extra Extra Fine Pitch thread and it is VERY easy to cross thread it, so NEVER EVER force it hoping it will "find" the thread. Until you get to the point of it being fully tightened you sould be able to spin the rod in with just a thumb and forefinger.

Now the tip, which is how to properly start a fine pitch thread like this. What you do is press against the spring pressure until the rod is fully seated against the extractor star and then rotate the extractor rod in the LOOSEN direction slowly. If you pay very close attention you will feel a very light "click" as the starting points of the male and female threads pass each other. As soon as you feel that "click" then reverse the direction and spin the extractor rod home. BTW, if you don't feel any click then press the two parts together a bit more firmly and concentrate on keeping them engaged 100% of the time that you are turning the rod in the reverse direction. It may take a while to develop a "feel" for this but once you have developed this skill you will find it's the only way to get these threads started correctly the first time and every time you have to do it. BTW, never use Loctite on these threads, it's not necessary and the residue will make it much more difficult to feel that "click".

Now for tightening the Extractor Rod so it won't work loose. This is another matter of developing a "feel" for getting it just right. What I do is hold the cylinder in my left hand and use how hard I squeeze the cylinder to act as a "slip clutch". If I find the Extractor Rod shoots loose then I squeeze a bit harder when I re-tighten it. To grip the extractor rod to tighten it I fold a bit of 1/16 leather over the knurling and use slip joint pliers to hold the leather on the tip of the rod and allow me to get enough torque to tighten it properly.

Last edited by scooter123; 10-19-2017 at 06:36 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: