Thread: New or old 629?
View Single Post

Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 PM

Liked 950 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveragEd View Post
What's with the premium on 4" guns? A .44 Magnum is hardly a concealed carry piece and the longer barrels offer better sighting and more muzzle velocity. To me, a .44 has two uses - hunting and target shooting, both of which benefit from longer barrels. Or has the world gone totally snubbie-happy without regard to caliber?

Ed
4" N-frames seem to bring a premium kind of like a 2.5" K-frame. I remember when I bought my 4" 29-2 the blue book added value for the 4" barrel. I can't remember off-hand what the number was but it did add value.

And then there is the element of what people like us are actually willing to pay for what we want/like. Sometimes the blue book doesn't reflect that.

I do carry my 4" 29 occasionally. Were it not in excellent condition as it is, I would definitely carry it more but I don't because I want it to stay in nice shape. It does carry pretty nice considering the horsepower you have as long as you use a descent belt holster and legit gun belt. But it is still an N-frame so you still know it's there.

I haven't experienced any issue with accuracy due to the shorter barrel. Shooting 50 feet, it's not terribly difficult to make a large ragged hole out of the bull and it shoots every bit as tight as my 6.5" 629 Classic. I'm sure sure that shooting longer distance that the 629 would come out the winner, but I have not tried the 29 at what I would consider long range for a handgun.

4" N-frames are quite fun. You're missing out