View Single Post

Old 10-24-2017, 05:22 PM
US Veteran

Liked 4,882 Times in 2,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Hollywood View Post
Thanks for the info rsrocket1. I've only been shooting for a couple of years and just hadn't thought of using a case gauge! Using my barrel to check the rounds is actually how I discovered some of the rounds were so sitting high!

I see what you mean about the 'bulge' at the base, these two pics show two rounds of factory ammo on the right and two of my reloads on the left (with the black stripes). The reloads are sitting high because of the 'bulge', I'm wondering if the small difference will matter and is there a way to correct it anyway? I'm currently using a Lee Pro1000, will a Dillon produce any different results with regard to resizing?

I've noticed that of all the mixed range brass I have for reloading, Federal and Winchester slip straight in, whereas almost all other brands sit ever so slightly high as shown in these pics. However all the reloads that I've run through the resizing die now sit at the same height when dropped into the barrel.

Still haven't made it to the range yet, maybe Thursday this week.

What I use for a pass/fail on rounds sitting higher in the gauge is if I can hook my fingernail into the extraction groove, it gets pulled and put aside for practice ammo. If I can't get my fingernail into the groove, I call it good to go. Haven't had any problems with this method for the last 100K rounds (approximate number, I don't keep a log book )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hundo full (Small).jpg (139.8 KB, 35 views)