View Single Post

Old 10-26-2017, 02:57 PM

Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu1ritter View Post
I have two LnL presses, one large, one small primer. I have had powder measure hopper problems to the point of sending one back to Hornady. They drilled the body and attached a new hopper with plastic pins. They also sent me two spare hoppers for my other press. Over time the solvents in the powders will attack the hopper at the bottom and cause shrinkage and the hoppers get loose. I do not leave powder in the hopper when I am not using the press. I usually only load 100-150 rounds as I have shoulder problems. I wish Hornady would make the hoppers out of a different material. I've learned to catch the hopper before it gets really loose and flip it over or replace it. I do love the presses though.

Stu

I load the way you do. But for me I load 150-200 rounds at a time just to keep the mind from losing focus and getting careless.

Hornady did mention the shrinkage problem over time with certain powders attacking the plastic. I knew that this could not have been my problem since I had the press less than three weeks. Like you, I don’t leave the powder in the measure. I empty it after each session. I must have jarred it loose in handling. Generally, I wipe down the powder measure hopper before loading with a used dryer sheet to cut down static electricity. Maybe, I loosened it then. Still, it should not have come off.

I haven’t done the case test to check for bench movement but I’m sure my setup is very solid. Still, if it was loose it may not have taken very much to topple it with all that heavy moving metal perched high up on a pole. The Lee Drum Measure setup is considerably lighter and lower which should help with any small movement or vibration, if any.

Again, they know about these problems and do nothing. Why use a plastic as a container that is adversely affected by the very product it is designed to hold? Why not secure the hopper positively instead of relying on just friction? Why should I have to polish parts to assure reliable functioning? Makes no sense other than penny pinching. I agree with Carrier in that I would pay the extra 20-30% premium to have these problems solved. Things like this can be a real turn-off for someone new to the hobby. It can also be dangerous. Problems lead to mistakes and mistakes in reloading can be catastrophic.

No press is perfect whether they are painted red, blue, or green. Each has it pluses and minuses. I’m sure once I get through these teething problems I will have a first-class set-up that will more than meet my needs. But after cleaning spilled powder from my work area, I’m pretty perturbed about being Hornady’s QC. It was a mess!

Last edited by cds43016; 10-26-2017 at 02:59 PM.