View Single Post

Old 11-06-2017, 07:30 PM

Liked 1,617 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPac View Post
What's your experience with shooting those +P+ rounds out of that Cobra? I'm curious.

Personally, I wouldn't put any +P through a Cobra let alone +P+. However, the newer Cobras with the shrouded ejector barrel ('73 on) may have been rated for minimal +P use, but I can't remember. Also, some +P+ ammo isn't that much more powerful than regular +P. So I suppose you could get away with limited use in the proper vintage Cobra. I wouldn't risk it though, and definitely wouldn't try that the older Cobras like my '61.

I tested some +P+ 147gr Hydra-Shoks in my '68 Detective. This was after confirming there was little felt difference between regular +P and the +P+. The DS shot a couple rounds of it fine, but that was the only time. I will only carry +P in the steel frame Detective. Those +P+ chrono'd at 950fps.

Due to the frame stretching possibility of shooting stout special loads, I always recommend any older Cobra being considered for purchase is given a thorough exam by somebody well versed with what to look for. Back before these guns were "collectible", folks didn't baby them.
It has held up fine so far , still tight . I don't shoot them in it very often . They are a bit more snappy than standard 158 grain loads but not too much . I am not what I call a collector and do not treat this gun as a collectors item . It is strictly used to keep my old hide intact if needed and if it ever has to do that I will be ok with it if the frame is stretched ( or cracks ) in the process of doing so . I can buy another Cobra but the older I get the dearer my hide gets .

Eddie

Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 11-08-2017 at 10:37 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: