View Single Post

Old 11-09-2017, 03:22 AM

Liked 26,167 Times in 8,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve St. View Post
I am thinking about doing a "spring job" on a 686 and would like to hear some thoughts from others that have tried this. What else would you recommend other than just changing springs.

I have done spring jobs and polished trigger parts on several Rugers with good results and am hoping I can have the same success with my S&W.

Thank you.
Steve
Steve,

the older M686's are usually fairly smooth from the start and only need minor adjustments. I use a lighter Rebound Slide Spring (13 or 14 lbs) and I usually shorten a SPARE Strain Screw and replace the Factory one. This will improve trigger pull weight but must be done so you still maintain 100% reliability. DO NOT shorten the original Strain Screw - always do this with a replacement and you do NOT need to remove much, a little goes a long way! You can easily restore it back to Factory and will always have the original if the gun is sold. Replacement Strain Screws are available from parts sellers and are only a few bucks - go slowly and just do a little at a time. Get a few and if you go to far you have another. NEVER NEVER just loosen a Factory Strain Screw. They must always be fully tightened when done. Loose Strain Screws can back out and cause FTF.

Go through the inside after disassembly, remove any burrs, and my recommendation is not to remove any metal but just remove burrs with an extra fine Arkansas Stone. DO NOT TOUCH the Sear engagement surfaces!!! You will ruin them as they are extremely sensitive and precisely fit. Before reassembly, LIGHTLY lubricate friction points and Bosses (pins the trigger and hammer rotate on). I'd recommend nothing heavier than Rig#2 Oil or Rem Oil for the inside of a S&W Revolver.

Last but NOT least, ONLY open up the Revolver if you are familiar with a S&W Revolver and know what you are doing! If you don't LEARN first (not after you screw it up) or bring it to a Pro.

Happy shooting and good luck with your new 686!

Last edited by chief38; 11-09-2017 at 03:24 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: