View Single Post

Old 11-09-2017, 12:47 PM

Liked 150 Times in 95 Posts

Have to disagree with all due respect...

Rule #2 is all very nice but do you think that someone like JM or JL is using "as is" stock off the shelf standard or pro series revolvers in revolver class? The answer is of course no. A new S&W Performance Center revo comes standard with a 14-15 pound trigger, I know because I have two late model PC revos. JL has let me shoot his IDPA revo and it's not a 14 pound trigger I can tell you that.

The S&W PC firearms are in general "production" or "stock" they just cost more and have better fit and finish. If you want to buy a PC gun for USPSA for example, you might be advised to compare several at the gun counter to find the best example. I currently have a 929 PC at a pistol smith for action work. He is going to true the untrue cylinder for me. This is not a handcrafted, hand fit meat eater by any stretch of the imagination.

But getting back to the OP question, I think he has a good point, a lot of gun makers use 3rd party hardware on their production guns. So if Hogue is making the cylinder latch for a S&W PC gun as standard, according to the IDPA rule book a competitor should be able to take that release and install it on a standard 686 and be legal. Of all of the dumb rules IDPA has the cylinder latch issue is a standout.

Another that makes no sense is the requirement to shoot major pf for moon clip guns. Any revo can be cut for moons but making major with a 686 to satisfy the major pf so that you can use moons is silly and does nothing but make revo shooters look elsewhere for competition.

A long standing question to ponder is who would use a Glock 34 as a daily carry gun? And is not that gun designed as a target/competition gun? And yet it is legal in SSP.

I'm done venting. Have a great day everyone.