View Single Post

Old 11-10-2017, 03:49 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Bear in mind that when the order was placed, he was just a Lt.Col. stationed on Hawaii, not a famed, controversial general.

But an Army officer got a discount and probably, prompt service.

Another famous man who ordered a .357 Magnum was wild animal trapper, author, and film maker Frank Buck. His .357 had a 6.5 inch barrel and was rushed to him soon after WW 2, as he prepared to leave on an Asian trip.

Prior to this, he wore a .38-44 Heavy Duty or .44 Military, Third Model They look the same unless you look at the size of the holes in the barrel and cylinder. I think it was a .38-44. This gun had a five-inch barrel, and Buck wore it in some of his films.

Patton wore his guns openly and took pride in them. Most US senior generals didn't wear openly a lot, nor did Lord Montgomery, Patton's chief ego rival. Maj Gen. James Gavin wore his .45 auto, a Randall Model 1 knife, and carried a Garand rifle in battle. He commanded the 82nd Airborne Div.

Patton probably carried a quantity of .357 and .45 Colt ammo in his gear. I doubt that he was supplied in the field. But I don't think he fired any shots in battle after the 1916 Pershing expedition after Pancho Villa. He did shoot a few Mexicans then, with a fancy Colt SAA .45.

I don't think it matters a lot at 15 yards whether you hold center or six-'o-clock on a man. How would you do the latter? Aim at a button on his shirt?

Last edited by Texas Star; 11-10-2017 at 04:12 AM.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: