View Single Post

Old 12-08-2017, 01:06 PM

Liked 479 Times in 116 Posts
Default A few questions for the old school bullseye shooters.

Gents,
Please educate me. Recently, I was rummaging around at my local shop found an old Remington-Rand 1911 that had been altered for bullseye competition. Bo-Mar rear sight, big angled front sight, stippling on the front strap, aftermarket trigger and hammer (I think), and the arched MSH had been ground down flat. Oddly enough, it had wood Colt grips on it. Initially I thought it was a shame a nice old 1911 had been altered. But after I looked it over and saw the price ($425) I figured, I couldn’t get a new Philippine made 1911 for that, and an inexpensive American made 1911 is always a good thing to have so it came home.

After I took it apart, I became really impressed with the workmanship in this thing. Little tweaks here and there, wonderful trigger, and extraordinarily tight all around. After I took it apart, I discovered it was built by a fellow named R. L. Shockey (stamped inside the slide) and it does have what I’ve since learned is called a “mousetrap” recoil spring plug.

Anyhow, I’ll get to my question. What was the usual maintenance and cleaning routine from those of you who used these kinds of altered 1911s? Were they cleaned often, rarely, never? I ask as this thing is a challenge to disassemble and it was fairly dirty. The barrel bushing is so very, very tight that some damned fool before me used a pipe wrench on it (seriously). My bushing wrench gets the job done, but it is a chore! Additionally the reassembly is difficult too due to the mousetrap recoil spring plug. These are not big deals, but I was just curious as in all honesty, I dread taking it down after shooting it.

Anyhow, I popped a fresh recoil spring in it and the pistol shoots very accurately and I’m glad I have it. Sorry for the long post and thank you for any information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171108_132920.jpg (166.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20171108_154102.jpg (57.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20171108_152719.jpg (37.5 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Professor Frink; 12-09-2017 at 04:49 PM.
The Following 15 Users Like Post: